Boston Brain Injury Lawyer
At Rawson Merrigan & Litner, LLP, our Boston brain injury lawyers have helped numerous Massachusetts TBI victims and their families. With more than 75 years of combined personal injury experience, our attorneys know what it takes to recover damages for you.
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), more than 1.4 million Americans suffer a traumatic brain injury (TBI) each year. They estimate that 50,000 people die as a result of their TBI. If you or a family member has sustained a traumatic brain injury, you need a personal injury attorney who will fight for compensation and medical treatment for you.
Why Turn to Rawson Merrigan & Litner, LLP for Help?
- The Boston brain injury lawyers at Rawson Merrigan & Litner, LLP strive to provide personalized service to every client, and we have helped thousands of injury victims secure the compensation they deserve.
- We focus solely on personal injury claims, which gives us a significant advantage when taking on complex brain injury cases.
- Our team makes sure that your medical bills get submitted to the appropriate insurance carriers so that we can help get them processed accordingly.
- We take Boston brain injury cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that our clients and their families will not pay any legal fees until after we obtain the compensation they deserve.
How Will an Attorney Help a Brain Injury Case?
A skilled traumatic brain injury attorney is going to be able to help victims and their families throughout the entire case. An attorney will bring the resources and legal expertise necessary to conduct a complete investigation into the incident. This can include gathering:
- Photo or video surveillance of the incident
- Statements from eyewitnesses
- Accident reports
- Company safety records (for claims against businesses)
- A person’s driving records (for vehicle accidents)
In addition to gathering evidence to prove liability, a Boston injury attorney will work with trusted medical experts to fully evaluate the brain injury victim while also helping calculate their total expected losses. Using all the evidence along with proof of losses, an attorney will vigorously negotiate with all parties involved, including aggressive insurance carriers and at-fault parties.
A TBI Can Be Devastating
People who suffer a brain injury may need medical care for many years. Sometimes the effects are not immediately apparent, but they may surface weeks or months after the injury. Depending on the severity of the injury, people may require treatment from a neurologist and other medical specialists. The immediate and long-term effects of brain injuries may result in temporary or permanent disability, as well as death.
The families of brain injury victims may face costs associated with medical care and loss of income. That is why it is important to work with a lawyer who understands the consequences of brain injuries and who will seek appropriate compensation.
Common Causes of Brain Injuries
A brain injury can cause dizziness, loss of consciousness, amnesia, mood changes and headaches. People suffer these injuries for many reasons, but the most common causes are:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Being hit with or struck against an object
- Assault and suicide attempts
We understand these cases and know how to investigate the cause of the injury. If the injury is the result of another’s negligence, we will fight for your right to compensation.
What Compensation Can be Recovered in a Brain Injury Case?
There may be various types of compensation available to brain injury victims, including coverage of both economic and non-economic expenses.
- Economic, or special damages, are quantifiable losses that a brain injury victim may incur. This can include the following:
- The cost of medical treatment
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- The cost of repairing or replacing damaged property
- General household out-of-pocket expenses
- Non-economic, or general damages, are more subjective and typically refer to costs that are harder to quantify. This can include the following:
- Pain and suffering damages
- Emotional distress and mental anguish damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life in
- Loss of consortium (for a spouse)
The total amount of compensation available in the aftermath of a Boston traumatic brain injury will vary depending on the circumstances related to each situation. Generally, the more severe and permanent the injuries, the more compensation a victim can expect to receive.
Is There a Time Limit to File a Brain Injury Claim?
Brain injury victims in Boston need to be aware that there is a limited amount of time for them to file a claim against the person responsible for their injury. The Massachusetts personal injury statute of limitations is three years from the date an injury occurs. This gives a brain injury victim a three-year window in which to file a lawsuit against the alleged negligent party, or they will not be able to recover any compensation at all.
At Rawson Merrigan & Litner, LLP, our qualified and experienced team will ensure that all filing deadlines are met, whether we are dealing with settlements with insurance carriers or filing a personal injury lawsuit to ensure that you are properly cared for.
Contact Our Boston Brain Injury Lawyers Today
We are here for you anytime. Call our Boston or Greenfield offices at (617) 348-0988 or contact us online today. Your consultation is free.