Boston Wrongful Death Lawyer
The Boston wrongful death attorneys at Rawson Merrigan & Litner, LLP have more than 75 years of combined personal injury experience. We have helped numerous people in Massachusetts who have lost a family member due to wrongful death. Please call us at (617) 348-0988 to discuss your case. Your consultation is free.
A wrongful death affects the entire family. In addition to the emotional pain of losing a loved one, you may be facing financial problems. It is difficult to know where to turn for help in these situations. Our attorneys understand that this is a challenging time for your family. We will treat you with the compassion and respect you deserve as we help you seek compensation for your losses.
Choose Rawson Merrigan & Litner, LLP to Help with Your Wrongful Death Case
- At Rawson Merrigan & Litner, LLP, our team provides compassionate and understanding assistance when families are dealing with the tragic loss of a loved one.
- We focus exclusively on personal injury and wrongful death cases, which means we have developed a high level of experience when handling complex cases like yours.
- We focus on giving families personalized attention for every case that we handle, and our clients can always contact their Boston wrongful death attorney for questions or concerns about the case.
- We take Boston wrongful death cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that families will pay no legal fees until after we obtain the closure and compensation they deserve.
How Can a Boston Wrongful Death Lawyer Help?
Wrongful death cases quickly become very complicated. Unfortunately, at-fault parties and insurance carriers are likely going to put up a significant fight when it comes to assuming liability and paying compensation for the death of somebody else.
A skilled Boston wrongful death lawyer will handle every aspect of your claim. They can bring the resources and legal expertise necessary to:
- Obtain any evidence necessary to prove liability, which can include photo or video surveillance of the incident, eyewitness statements, company safety records, driving records, accident reports, and more
- Work with trusted financial and economic experts to properly calculate the total losses a family is expected to endure due to the death of their loved one
- Negotiate with every party involved to help secure a fair settlement for their client
- Fully prepare to take the Boston wrongful death case to trial, if necessary to secure full compensation
We Understand the Legal and Medical Issues
Our personal injury lawyers in Boston have experience with the legal issues you are facing. We know what questions to ask and what types of evidence to gather. We will work with investigators, doctors and medical experts to prove your wrongful death case.
If you are worried about finances, we can help you determine the costs you incurred at the time of the incident, as well as the expenses you will face in the future. It is important to have a clear understanding of the financial support you will need long-term.
Who Can File for Wrongful Death Claims in Massachusetts?
Upon examining Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 229, Section 2, we can see that “the executor or administrator of the deceased” must file a wrongful death claim in civil court. The executor or administrator will generally be the person responsible for following any instructions left in a will or as part of the estate plan. Any damages recovered as a result of a successful wrongful death claim will be paid to the deceased person’s estate.
Often, the executor or administrator of an estate is a close family member of the deceased, such as a spouse, child, parent, sibling, or other family member. However, the executor or administrator does not have to be a family member.
A wrongful death may be caused by the negligence, or reckless actions of another party. To recover damages for you, we will work to prove that negligence was a factor, whether the death was caused by a fatal car accident, a slip and fall, or a work-related injury. If the other party was reckless, he or she may be required to pay punitive damages.
What Type of Compensation is Available in Wrongful Death Cases?
There are various types of compensation that may be available in the aftermath of a wrongful death in Massachusetts. At Rawson Merrigan & Litner, LLP, our wrongful death accident attorneys are regularly able to help secure the following types of compensation for our clients:
- The value of income the deceased could have reasonably been expected to earn in their lifetime
- Compensation for care, comfort, companionship, counsel, guidance, and advice the deceased would have provided to their family members had they lived
- Reasonable coverage of funeral and burial expenses
In some cases, punitive damages may be available in a Massachusetts wrongful death case, but only if the court in the Commonwealth determines that the death was caused by “malicious, willful, wanton or reckless conduct” or because of gross negligence.
Speak with a Boston Wrongful Death Lawyer Today
Let’s talk about how we can help your family. Please call our Boston or Greenfield offices at (617) 348-0988 or contact us online.