Boston Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
The Boston spinal cord injury attorneys at Rawson Merrigan & Litner, LLP have spent their careers fighting for the rights of injured people in Massachusetts. We are ready to help you and your family get the compensation you need to move forward.
A spinal cord injury can be devastating. Even mild injuries to the spinal cord can cause a lifetime of pain or disability. If your spinal cord injury was the result of someone’s negligence, or reckless actions, you may be entitled to compensation. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you through the process of proving negligence and recovering damages for your loss.
Why Turn to Rawson Merrigan & Litner, LLP for Your Spinal Cord Injury Case?
- The Boston spinal cord injury lawyers at Rawson Merrigan & Litner, LLP focus exclusively on personal injury law, which gives us a significant advantage when tackling complex spinal cord injury cases.
- Every client and their family will work directly with one of our firm’s partners, which means they will have direct access to the most qualified individual to answer questions and concerns about the case.
- We take spinal cord injury cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that our clients will not pay any legal fees until after we obtain the compensation they are entitled to.
How Will an Attorney Help a Spinal Cord Injury Case?
Spinal cord injury cases in Boston and throughout Massachusetts can become incredibly complex. Unfortunately, insurance carriers and at-fault parties fight vigorously against paying major settlements in these cases. A skilled spinal cord injury lawyer in Boston can use their resources to:
- Obtain all evidence needed to prove liability in the case, which can include video surveillance footage of the incident, statements from eyewitnesses, accident reports, and more.
- Work with trusted medical experts who can treat their client and ensure that they are properly cared for throughout their recovery.
- Work with trusted financial and economic experts to help calculate the total lifetime costs of the spinal cord injury.
- Vigorously negotiate with all parties involved to ensure their client receives a fair settlement.
The Effects of a Spinal Cord Injury
A spinal cord injury can affect many parts of the body. Whether you suffer a complete or incomplete spinal cord injury, you may also be facing one or more of the following conditions:
- Loss of function
- Paraplegia and quadriplegia
- Respiratory problems
- Brain injury
- Chronic pain
Serious injuries such as these require specialized medical treatment and long-term care. You need a Boston personal injury attorney who will fight for compensation that will cover your medical costs, as well as loss of income if you are unable to return to work.
Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
There are numerous ways that people can suffer a spinal cord injury. Nearly any type of accident can cause spinal injuries, including:
Cost of a Spinal Cord Injury in Massachusetts
The Boston spinal cord injury lawyers at Rawson Merrigan & Litner, LLP understand that spinal cord injuries can be debilitating and can lead to temporary or permanent disabilities. These injuries can also be costly. When we turn to data available from the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center (NSCISC), we can see that as many as 363,000 individuals in the United States are living with a spinal cord injury. Data suggests that as many as 18,000 new spinal cord injuries occur each year in this country.
The true costs of spinal cord injury have to be examined within the scope of medical and non-medical costs. When we discuss the first-year medical costs alone, the NSCISC shows that treatment costs can range from $368,000 to more than $1.1 million, depending on the severity of the spinal cord injury. However, every subsequent year after, the injury adds to the medical costs. On average, every year after a spinal cord injury until the death of the victim can bring additional costs ranging from $44,000 to $200,000.
The medical costs are only one part of the compensation that injury victims and their attorneys need to look at. Other costs to consider in these cases include:
- The costs to modify vehicles or homes to aid with mobility
- The costs of traveling to and from spinal cord specialists and facilities
- Lost income if a victim cannot work or has to take a lower-paying job because of a disability
- Lost income of any family member that has to become a caregiver in the home
It is also important to point out that victims and family members will likely endure significant emotional and psychological harm as a result of the injury and how it will affect their daily lives.
Get the Compensation You Deserve
Please call our Boston or Greenfield offices at (617) 348-0988 or send us an email. Your consultation is free and there are no fees unless we recover a settlement for you.