Boston Premises Liability Lawyer
The Boston premises liability attorneys at Rawson Merrigan & Litner, LLP have more than 75 years of combined personal injury case experience in Massachusetts. We understand the issues involved in premises liability cases and we know how to fight for your rights. Please call us for a free consultation.
When a person sustains injury due to a slip and fall, a building that does not meet fire or building codes, a falling object or inadequate lighting, the case is referred to as “premises liability.” In general terms, this means that the owner of the property (premises) can be held responsible (liable) for the injury. However, proving negligence, or recklessness, in a premises liability case can be tricky, and it helps to have an experienced personal injury lawyer by your side.
Why Choose Rawson Merrigan & Litner, LLP for a Premises Liability Case?
- At Rawson Merrigan & Litner, LLP, our number one focus is on ensuring that every client we take receives quality service.
- We focus primarily on personal injury cases, and we have helped thousands of injury victims throughout Massachusetts secure full compensation for their losses.
- Our Boston personal injury attorneys directly coordinate benefits between appropriate insurance carriers for every case, including personal health insurers, property owner insurance carriers, and more.
- We take Boston premises liability cases on a contingency fee basis, which means our clients will not pay any legal fees until after we obtain the compensation they need.
How Will an Attorney Help a Premises Liability Case?
A Boston premises liability lawyer is an invaluable resource for these cases because injury victims do not usually have the financial ability or legal expertise necessary to stand up to well-funded property owners and their insurance carriers on their own. However, an attorney can:
- Obtain all evidence needed to prove liability, which can include property surveillance footage, statements from eyewitnesses, property owner safety records, accident reports, and more.
- Obtain copies of the property owner’s insurance policy to ensure that their client receives full compensation, per the terms of the policy.
- Work with trusted medical and financial experts to help properly calculate the client’s total expected losses.
- Fully prepare to take the case to trial through a personal injury lawsuit, if necessary to ensure their client is treated fairly.
What Types of Compensation are Available for Premises Liability Cases?
Those who are injured due to the careless or negligent actions of a property owner are usually entitled to various types of compensation for their losses. Our Boston premises liability attorneys are regularly able to help clients recover both economic and non-economic compensation in these cases. This includes the following:
- Complete coverage of all medical bills related to the injury
- Lost income if the client cannot work while they recover
- Loss of future earnings if a disability prevents a return to work
- General household out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering damages
- Emotional distress damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
The total amount of compensation available in these cases will vary depending on the facts and circumstances surrounding each particular premises liability incident.
Deadline to File a Premises Liability Lawsuit
Premises liability victims need to be aware that there is a limited amount of time for them to file a claim against the property owner responsible for their injury. The Massachusetts personal injury statute of limitations is three years from the date an injury occurs. If a lawsuit is not filed against the alleged negligent party within this three-year window, the victim will lose the ability to recover the compensation they deserve.
Causes of Premises Liability Accidents
Property owners have a responsibility to take reasonable steps to protect the safety of guests and visitors. If their negligence causes an injury, you may be entitled to compensation. Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common sources of injury lawsuits. They can happen indoors or outside, on slick surfaces, snowy and icy patches, broken steps or tiles, poor lighting, faulty construction, lack of handrails or because of a spill.
Slip and falls, and other premises liability accidents, can occur at:
- Homes and apartments
- Hotels and restaurants
- Grocery stores and gas stations
- Discount retailers and shopping malls
- Parking lots
Maximizing Your Recovery
The property owner’s insurance company will strive to minimize their risk and cost associated with an injury. They may try to offer you a settlement that is lower than you are entitled to. You want to explore your options before accepting any offer.
You need a Boston premises liability attorney who will make sure you get the necessary medical treatment as well as the compensation you are lawfully entitled to. Injuries from premises liability accidents can range from soft tissue injuries and broken bones to more serious injuries to the brain or to the spinal cord. These injuries can lead to disability and wrongful death.
Contact a Premises Liability Attorney in Boston Today
If you or somebody you care about has been injured due to the careless or negligent actions of a property owner in or around Boston, contact the Boston premises liability lawyers at Rawson Merrigan & Litner, LLP for help with your case immediately. Our team pledges to conduct a complete investigation into your case, so we can secure full compensation for your losses. We have no problem standing up to aggressive insurance carriers or at-fault parties.
Our goal is to ensure that our clients receive the compensation they need, so they can make a full recovery. Call our Boston or Greenfield offices at (617) 348-0988 or contact us online.